This is basically the very first incarnation for this guide; me know in the MSE Forum discussion or via my Twitter and I will try to add it where relevant if you think I’ve missed anything or have any questions do let.
For folks who’ve started their studies that are undergraduate 2012, the education loan system may be pretty familiar. For individuals who went before that, there are lots of modifications. To learn more about exactly how undergraduate loans work, see my 22 scholar Loan Mythbusters guide.
Get Our Complimentary Cash Guidelines E-mail!
You have to be under 60, surviving in England and doing all of your very first master’s to meet the requirements
The latest postgraduate master’s education loan is just for brand new beginners from 1 August 2016; those that started a master’s before this defintely won’t be qualified. Applications are actually available and you may apply in the learning student Loans Company site or by post by getting a credit card applicatoin kind.
If you have currently sent applications for pupil finance in past times you should use your current login details. If you don’t, you will have to register. You have as much as nine months from the beginning associated with the scholastic 12 months to make use of (or nine months following the beginning of the 2nd 12 months if it is a two-year program).
And there are more eligibility requirements too.
– you really must be under 60: if you should be 60 or higher in the day that is first educational 12 months begins, you cannot have the loan.
– This needs to be very first master’s level: in the event that you curently have a master’s level or a greater qualification (even though it was maybe not from the British college) you may not qualify for the mortgage.
– it should be a complete master’s program: This technically means an amount 7 certification worth 180 credits. Postgrad diplomas therefore do not count since these are often 120 or 60 credits.
– it requires to be considered a maximum four-year program: Any master’s program including taught, research, distance education and expert, in every topic in a qualified UK university (the one that has capacity to offer levels), is okay.
It ought to be a single or two-year postgraduate master’s course, or you’re learning part-time, the program must certanly be at the very least 50% strength (ie, a maximum four-year program). It is possible to obtain the loan if you should be for a three-year part-time course just because there’s absolutely no full-time equivalent.
– This should be your only financing: when you can submit an application for a bursary instead, eg a medical bursary through the NHS, a social work bursary through the Department of wellness, personal Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) or a bursary from Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS), you may not qualify for the loan that is postgraduate.
– you need to be a UK national located in England: you must be living in England, and have lived in the UK for at least three years, to qualify if you’re a UK or EU national. You may be capable of getting the mortgage you’ve been living in the EU for the past three years, you’ll live in England when your course starts and you’ll be studying at an English university or college if you’re an EU national.
The specific situation for all various other aspects of great britain differs. We are concentrating primarily on England in this guide, so be sure you research all the T&Cs, eligibility requirements and numbers for your area.
Scottish pupils can apply for a tuition that is postgraduate loan to pay for tuition charges as much as ?5,500 when signed up for Masters’ and postgraduate diploma programmes. Full-time pupils may also be qualified to receive a living expense loan as much as ?4,500, meaning an overall total of ?10,000 is up for grabs. Part-time pupils will get less.
The tuition charge loan is compensated right to your college or university, distribute similarly throughout the years. In the event that tuition charge for the program is more than the most loan quantity, you will need to make within the huge difference.
Your program: This needs to be very first Master’s program. It should be a master that is full-time programme (up to couple of years in total) or even a taught postgraduate diploma programme as high as twelve months in total.
Your nationality and residency: you need to be a British nationwide (or have settled status), and also have been residing in Scotland for 3 years as soon as your program begins. You really must be typically located in Scotland (therefore n’t have relocated here simply to study) and aged under 60 in the very first time of one’s very first educational 12 months.
Pupils starting a taught or research based Master’s program after 1 Aug 2019 can make application for a mixed loan and grant worth around ?17,000, to pay for program charges and residing costs.
You can get the postgraduate Master’s loan of up to ?13,000, to cover course and living costs if you started your course before 1 Aug 2019. This is certainly well worth up to ?10,280 if you began early in the day.
Your program: you truly must be enrolled for a stand-alone Master’s course well worth 180 credits (seek the advice of the college if you are not sure). It could be taught or research based and examined, and should be supplied by way of a university that is UK-based.
Your nationality and residency: you truly must be a British nationwide (or don’t have any restriction to the length of time you can easily normally stay residing in Wales (therefore not need relocated here to review), and have now been surviving in the UK for 3 years whenever your course begins.
If you should be an EU national located in Wales as soon as your program begins, you have resided into the EU for the last 36 months, and you will learn at a Welsh college, you may even meet the requirements.
Northern Ireland supplies a tuition charge loan as high as ?5,500 to perfect’s pupils. Repayments are designed right to your university, and distribute across your program, if you’re learning for just two years, you’ll receive ?2,750 each year that is academic.
If the tuition charge is more than the most loan quantity, you will have to spend the distinction your self. Be aware that you cannot make an application for more income than your tuition cost expenses.
Your program: you really must be learning for a Master’s (taught or research), postgraduate certification or postgraduate diploma given by a British university.
It is possible to use also in the event that you have a Master’s or more training, however you defintely won’t be in a position to make an application for another loan once you have gotten one from any federal government authority in britain.
Your nationality and residency: you really must be a UK nationwide (or don’t have any limitations to the length of time you are able to remain), have now been residing in the united kingdom for the 3 years before your course begins and typically located in Northern Ireland (therefore not need relocated here to examine) from the day that is first of program.